Thursday, September 05, 2013

Cine Europa 16 Movie Schedule (Shang Cineplex)

The first movie festival/competition on screens this month is the 16th edition of Cine Europa at Shangri-La Plaza. All screenings are free to the public.

Three fantastic Filipino films are also included in the festival, which runs from September 5 to 15, 2013. Newly restored classic films Genghis Khan and Oro Plata Mata will be screened at 2 pm and 4 pm respectively on Sunday, 8th of September. The Cinemalaya 2013 opening film Jazz In Love will have 2 pm and 4 pm screenings on Saturday, 14th of September.

Updated:

While queuing up at Shang Cineplex yesterday, 5th of September, I'd overheard two youngsters talking with a middle-aged woman. They were discussing animatedly the last film Barbara. It seems that they could have enjoyed the German film more if only there were more subtitles. I was puzzled with their discussion.

One minute into the next screening, I knew what they were talking about. The movie is zoomed in therefore eliminating letterbox bars and half of the valuable subtitles. I complained to the security personnel about the missing subtitles. He said it had something to do with the DVDs they had received. I explained to him that the DVD is not the culprit. They just need to fix the image height projection. He relayed my suggestion to the usher. When I returned to my seat after two minutes or so, the problem was already fixed.

It is already the 16th edition of Cine Europa and yet, some staff at Shang Cineplex are clueless about subtitling problems. I laud Shang Cineplex for hosting international film festivals. Most of the foreign films screened are for free. But, free viewing doesn't mean accepting whatever is shown onscreen. I pity those who persevered watching the film Barbara with at least half of every line of dialogue missing.

I hope the Shang Cineplex people have smarted up because I will definitely come back for more screenings. I enjoyed the film I saw yesterday titled Almanya: Willkommen in Deutschland. I'm hoping to see a gem or two during the festival's 11-day run.


screening sked,

No comments:

Post a Comment